Security guard murder case: Perak cops waiting instructions from AGC before taking action

IPOH: Perak police are awaiting instructions from the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) on the case of security guard S. Thava Sagayam who died recently after being assaulted by a homestay guest last year. State police chief Comm Datuk Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said police could only take further action upon receiving instructions as they had referred the case to the AGC last week.

He said this in response to comments and statements from several parties asking the police to arrests the suspect after the case has been reclassified as murder. “Only once we receive instructions, we will take further action. “The next mention date for the case has been fixed on Sept 9, as he was initially charged under Section 335 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous hurt on grave and sudden provocation,” he said in a statement on Saturday (Sept 4).

On Aug 30, Comm Mior Faridalathrash said the police had suggested a heavier charge against the suspect under Section 302 for murder. Comm Mior Faridalathrash reiterated that the police had never used the words “double jeopardy” in any of its statements over the case, as reported by several online portals as well as on social media platforms. “I would like to advise the public not to speculate on the case, as it is in the courts now, and for them to have faith in the judiciary system,” he added.

The 64-year-old security guard died at his house on Aug 27, and the post-mortem found that he had died due to sepsis, caused by infection in his lungs.

It was reported that the security guard had sustained head injuries during the Dec 29 incident at a condominium here when he was assaulted by the guest following an argument.

The security guard was found by a worker at the condominium, bleeding from his head and was rushed to the Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun in a semi-conscious state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *